This easy and amazing Cuban Picadillo dish was presented to me as a small offering from friends when I lived in Florida. They were so scared that I wouldn’t like it. Are you kidding me? There is a reason that my hubby says that I have a food-o-graphic memory.
Everyone Has A Hash
Picadillo is hearty, saucy, and just plain good. You may see potatoes mixed in with it. Every culture has a savory hash that reminds us of home-cooked meals. In America, I could compare it to Sloppy Joe’s, but the flavor is totally different. It has a rich, earthy flavor that comes from the mixture of cumin, cinnamon, bay leaf, and oregano.
Don’t be afraid to add in the olives and raisins. They meld well together with everything and don’t stand out. You need that balance of acidity and sweetness. If you just can’t imagine it though, of course, it’s fine to leave them out.
How To Store The Easy and Amazing Cuban Picadillo
The leftovers will freeze really well in a freezer bag. It’s even better the next day as a filling for tacos or burritos. I’m always trying to eat leftovers for lunch the next day, but I like to reinvent them a little so that I don’t feel like I’m eating the same thing over and over.
Kitchen Tested and Family Approved
Even my six-year-old, whose palate still mainly consists of pizza and hamburgers, will eat this without complaint. I’m telling you, once you try it, this dish will make it into your regular rotation. While it’s not expensive, it’s fast, and it can feed a crowd. I can’t wait to try this easy and amazing Cuban Picadillo as a filling for an empanada! Check out these empanadas right here!
Easy and Amazing Cuban Picadillo
- Large Deep Skillet or Dutch Oven
- 1 TBS Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1/2 Large Onion, chopped I use Sweet Onions
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Morton's Natures Seasoning
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1 TBS Better Than Boullion Chicken Flavor
- 1/4 Cup Green Olives, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
- Cooked White or Brown Rice or Cauliflower Rice *Optional, but recommened*
- Heat a large deep skillet or dutch oven on medium heat. Add olive oil, then garlic and onion. Cook for 5 min.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Break up the large pieces. Cook for 4-5 min.
- Add the cumin, oregano, black pepper, cinnamon, Morton's seasoning, and bay leaf.
- Next add the white wine, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, and fire-roasted tomatoes. Cook for 5 mins.
- Then add the Better Than Boullion and stir. Add the raisins and olives. Cover and cook for 15 mins.
- Take off the heat and serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
Want another recipe? Try one of these bad boys…